ep3YarzshUHJVIj7Y3N5RfH0-BI Rose's Thoughts: The Birch Forest

Monday, April 8, 2013

The Birch Forest


Day 36 - Ooo! 26 hits in the last hour or so. Very impressive! Thanks guys! I guess you like the new background...




So I wanted to put up something from the sketchbook I've been working out of recently and this is the final line drawing of a birch forest I was working on last week. I think it looks pretty good out of the book honestly. There's always some kind of metamorphosis when you scan or photograph a drawing or painting. Sometimes it's a good change, sometimes not. Sometimes, like here I think, the drawing somehow becomes whole. It probably has to do with how your eye focuses on one particular thing while you're drawing, but when you upload a photo, your brain goes, "Wait a minute! This is all one thing now! Must process differently!"

So that's exciting. I also found out that there are still rooms with two beds open at the hotel for Botcon this summer. Which means that if I play my cards right I may not have to share a bed with my sister if (When!) we go. :D Yay! She's something of a volatile sleeper. And once she's out she is out. I can shove her over to her side of the bed all I like and not only does she just roll back, she doesn't even wake up. The last time we shared a bed during family vacation, she threw her leg over me while she was sleeping! Not cool....

Anyway, this sketchbook I've been working with is really cool! Not only does it have Catwoman on the cover (the only really cool comic cover I could find with a heroine on the cover....make of that what you will I guess.) but it's full of bristol pages, which apparently are really good to use when you want to work with art pens. I don't have a lot of practice with mine, so I was sketching and otherwise messing around with line drawings and experimenting some with color.

The sad part is that I've over halfway through it now. I'll be sad when I've used all the pages because the cover's really cool. I got it at a convention, up in Austen I think (It's a comic covered sketchbook. Of course it's from Austen...) so once it's full it's not like I can pop down to the store and get a new one...sad. T.T

It's kind of mind-bending learning with art pens, because you have to use the colors from light to dark. So you gotta find, and somehow mark out, all your whites and yellows first. Except your page is white too. So it's like trying to see snow on an ice block.

It makes my brain go a little o.O

Fortunately the trees up above are easy enough to keep white. I started working on the bright autumn colors of the surrounding forest, but I didn't get a lot done when I was working the other day. But I think it's definitely going to be cool....as soon as I get it done. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment